Background: The Vacation Rental Registration Program regulates vacation rentals as defined in Section 509.242 of the Florida Statutes (2015). Through the administration and enforcement of the Vacation Rental Registration Program, the Code Compliance Division ensures that vacation rental operators meet all local and state license and tax requirements. The division also ensures that each vacation rental property meets minimum housing and life safety standards outlined in Article X – Vacation Rentals, of Chapter 15 of the Code of Ordinances of the City of Fort Lauderdale. Ordinance No. C-16-25 is the ordinance that governs the administration and enforcement of the City's Vacation Rental Registration Program. The fee schedule for the program can be found in Vacation Rental Fee Resolution 17-81 , and is as follows:
|Vacation Rental Fee Schedule|
|Vacation Standard Registration Fee (per unit) (This fee includes the first inspection)||$350.00|
|Renewal Registration Fee Non-Owner Occupied (per unit)||$160.00|
|Renewal Registration Fee Owner Occupied||$80.00|
|Safety Inspection, Re-Inspection and No-Show Inspection (per unit)||$75.00|
|Late Registration Payment Fee (per unit)||$75.00|
|Transfer Rental Agent Fee (per unit)||$35.00|
|Business Tax License Fee (per unit) (October 1st - March 31st)||$157.50|
|Business Tax License Fee (per unit) (April 1st - June 30th)||$78.75|
|Business Tax License Fee (per unit) (July 1st - September 30th)||$236.25|
VACATION RENTAL APPLICATION DOCUMENTS
- Vacation Rental Process Map
- Vacation Rental Registration Application and Affidavit
- Business Tax Application
- Vacation Rental Document Checklist
- Business Tax and Vacation Rental Payment
VACATION RENTAL INSPECTION DOCUMENTS
VACATION RENTAL ENFORCEMENT
VACATION RENTAL REGISTRATION PROCESS
- Apply for all State and County licenses/certificates/taxes. The Vacation Rental Registration Program - Application Process provides the registration steps as well as examples of how the proof of registration with the State and County agencies look, estimated processing times, and some fees associated with the each agency.
- Complete the Vacation Rental Registration Application and Affidavit and the City's Business Tax Application . If you are not the property owner, a notarized letter or Power of Attorney from the property owner is required.
- Review the Vacation Rental Document Checklist prior to submitting the application to prevent the application from being rejected. All documents must be submitted electronically. Applications will not be accepted in-person or via regular mail. Incomplete applications will be rejected.
- Email completed the Vacation Rental Registration Application and Affidavit, Business Tax Application, and all State and County licenses/certificates/taxes to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If accepted, you will receive a confirmation email, and advising that your application will be sent for processing.
- If the application is rejected, you will be notified of the missing documents, and you will be required to resubmit the entire packet again to include the documents that were originally submitted.
- Once your applications are processed for payment, you will receive an email to use your business tax number to pay online at https://ebiz.fortlauderdale.gov/egovplus/license/buslic.aspx. Please, only enter your Business Tax Id # and click search.
- Once the payment is made, please send an email to email@example.com advising that you have made the payment, and include your business tax number in the email.
- You will be contacted by the area code officer to schedule an inspection. Please review the Vacation Rental Registration Program - Inspection Process and Vacation Rental Inspection Checklist to prepare for your inspection.
- When you pass the inspection, Certificate of Compliance will be issued within two business days.
- If you fail your inspection, you will receive 10 days to bring the property into compliance. You must contact the inspector for a reinspection, and you will be assessed a $75.00 fee for each reinspection.
BUSINESS RELATED AGENCIES
Vacation Rental Reporting
Please send all complaints regarding the suspected illegal operation of vacation rentals to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the property address and supporting photos and/or documentation to validate your complaint. A list of applicants that have registered and/or that have been issued a Certificate of Compliance can be viewed at Vacation Rental Registration Program Report - Applicants . A list of properties that have been reported and/or that have been discovered to be operating illegally can be viewed at Vacation Rental Registration Program Report - Properties Reported . The list of properties reported does include properties that were reported and/or discovered, but that are in the process of registering.